Pole Barn Home Features
Post frame construction is ideal for residential applications.
• Walls are not load bearing and can be located anywhere you need them to be.
• Easy to insulate and fewer thermal breaks than other construction methods.
• Less expensive to build. Save money on materials, labor, and concrete slab costs.
• It is much simpler to include porches and larger overhangs on post frame buildings.
• Stronger against the forces of mother nature. Wind loads get transferred through the foundation post into the ground and is released.
• Remodeling the interior later is easier. There are no load bearing interior walls with single story post frame construction.
House Kit Design Criteria
Our structures are designed with energy heel trusses. These trusses have 9" heels to provide room in the attic for blown insulation throughout the attic.
Sheathing on the roof reduces noise from rainfall on the second floor. Want to add a nice look? You can incorporate scissor trusses in the building design to achieve a cathedral ceiling.
Another option is bookshelf wall girts (fit between the posts flat), with 1 1/2" of the girt protruding out past the post to align with the truss supports and grade board below.
This makes framing possible with one member and provides a deep cavity to fill with insulation and still achieve an air gap between the siding and insulation.
A floating concrete slab is typical for post frame homes. If soil bearing capacity is bad then the foundation posts can be attached directly to a monolithic concrete slab (like a typical home uses).
This means you will lose some of the cost benefits available with post frame homes since the slab on grade requires more labor and concrete to finish the pour.
Another option is a wood flooring system instead of a concrete slab to keep plumbing accessible for future rennovations and additions. These flooring systems are typically 18" above grade but have a similar cost of a typical floating slab.
We sell the building shell and various structural components like second floor truss or joist systems.
Houses from us will include everything you need for the structure, detailed building plans, and sealed plans signed by an engineer licensed in your state.
Structural plans do not include plumbing, electrical, or interior floorplans.
We offer kits for any residential or inhabited use including:
• pole barn homes kits
• pole barns with apartments
• pole barn house kits
• animal confinement buildings with residential loft
• pole barn apartments
What is included in an APB Home Kit
Our building packages include all necessary components to build the structure with the exception of:
• Interior finish & Insulation
• Electrical & Plumbing
• HVAC components
• Concrete slab
Floor Plans & Ideas
Here are some links to resources for ideas and floorplans online:
Barn Style Homes
Yankee Barn Homes
AHP Post Frame Plans
More Home Floor Plans